Tuesday 29 July 2008

daily life

I met a few more people from my course today. In total we are 15, but only 6 of us have made it to Svalbard since there has been severe fog at the airport. Quite weird really ... 6 people in an entire lecture room vs. 300 or so at Edinburgh. I really must not fall asleep.

I must admit, the UNIS building is pretty impressive. The exterior looks like a spaceship and the interior is decorated with wooden panels. I will try taking pictures tomorrow - it really does put the other universities to shame. Even the speakers in the lecture room are JBL and there are two massive 52inch monitors just outside of it (one of which is a Sony). Ok I know these are minor details that only I would notice ... but still.

Earlier on in the day I went to buy some milk at the supermarket, but obviously because of all the delayed flight there was none.

Other than that, we have a safety training course tomorrow which should be interesting: riffle shooting and stuff like that.

I really have itchy feet and can't wait to climb the surrounding mountains - they are literally at my doorstep, but I need to do the riffle training first before I can rent one out. Once I have a riffle then I will be able to explore a bit more. There is also an abandoned mine right next to us - might go visit it sometime soon...

As for the photo of the day: just another view of the Longyearbreen glacier from my barrack + that mine I was talking about. These were taken at exactly midnight today.

Oh and before I got, there is a total eclipse of the sun this coming Friday - so should be quite interesting :)

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 00:09

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YANNNNNNNNY yus! FIRST! this is an outrage! you told us you were sleeping in the tundra burrowed in the snow like a little snow marmoset. but instead we find you living in the lap of luxury! that place is better than ben william wests house. whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Anonymous said...

thats me by the way you foxy badger. amy x

Search