Sunday 3 August 2008

1 week so far ...

I can't believe I have already been on Svalbard for just over a week now - and I'm loving every minute of it.

My student hall is quite nice and I have amazing views wherever I go (provided it's not foggy). The university is fantastic, and the people I have met all really nice and friendly. It really reminds me of when I was here the first time round i.e. spending so much time with a small group of people.

There are so many things I keep wanting to write on this blog but always forget. The other day we went bird spotting with my class and got chased by some crazy arctic terns. There was also a walrus that came to town and lay on the beach. We also saw some massive polar bear footprints in Adventdalen. Oh, and there was a solar eclipse here too (93%).



Today the mist was still over town, but we decided to go on a walk round the surrounding mountains. As we got higher and higher, we managed to get over the cloudline and had some awesome views. As we descended we passed by some small waterfalls (melting snow) and the crazy Norwegians decided to take a shower in it!

Anyways, for the next 8 days I will be away on a fieldtrip and so won't be able to update this page. Bye for now!

Eating out at Kroa


Eclipse on the 1st August.


"Applies everywhere in Svalbard"


Bird spotting


View from my Barrack at midnight


The biggest dear ever!


View of Longyearbreen glacier from Sarkofagen


On top of Sarkofagen


Descending the Longyearbreen glacier


Eating waffles at my barrack (the place to be)

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 21:27

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOOOHHHHH so jealous!Looks like you're having a great time!Wish i were back there too!Stuck in London with no job :( !Did you manage to get your 40kg suitcases through Oslo?Marianne xx

Search