Monday 22 September 2008

yay!


I did it ! I have finally completed Longyearbyen's 10-peak challenge ! On Saturday morning I set off by kayak across the Adventfjorden. Even though the weather has been rubbish for the past two weeks, it somehow wasn't raining and there was no wind at all. The last peak was really not obvious to find, but in the end we got there.

View of Longyearbyen


Descending Sneheim


View from Sneheim


Later on that afternoon we kayaked back across the Fjord, where I then picked up my bike and cycled straight down to Bjorndalen, the student cabin found a few kilometres away (1 hour). I was already exhausted from the hike, but figured I had to make it to the cabin this weekend before it gets too dark in the season.


Cosy student cabin
On Sunday morning I went for a walk with a few people, up Fuglefjellet which I had already been up a couple of weeks ago. It was fun nonetheless, and we were caught in a mini blizzard at the top. The way back down was very wet and we stopped at the student cabin for lunch. From inside the weather looked grim, but we had to return to town by bike. The river had swelled up, and in the end I just crossed with all my clothes on. I only got wet up to my knees though, but I was still very wet from the rain. The cycle back was ok since the wind was hitting us from behind.


I arrived back at my barrack at 6.40PM, with aim of still attending Underwater Rugby at 7! I quickly threw everything out of my bag and ate chocolate and then cycled down to the pool where I was 1 minute early! Underwater rugby was as usual so difficult. I can't believe how rubbish I am, but I really want to get better.

This coming Thursday I'm attending a lifeguard course ... apparently we need to swim to the bottom of the pool a few times with our clothes on ... and we are not allowed any form of aid, and that includes goggles/glasses/contact lenses ... so I'm pretty screwed.

So yeah this weekend has been the most crazy one yet ... I really need to get my work done now :(

Getting ready to kayak across the fjord

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 09:55

0 comments:

Search