Saturday 31 January 2009

into the twilight zone ...

Funny how things go so quickly ... spring is on it's way, and it's coming fast! I am amazed at how much more light there is (more like how little there is), from one day to the next. We have another month or so before seing the sun again though.


Today we went to look for the icecave on Longyearbreen, cos' apparently it has been opened. It took us ages skiing up the glacier, but unfortunatly we couldn't find it :( ... On the other hand, we had a great time skiing back down and even got to see the northern lights ^^

As soon as we got back home, we continued skiing down (how random) to town to buy some food. I dunno ... it's just funny ... small things we do here, that seem so normal now and take for granted, but will be difficult to let go off when leaving this place. I was even thinking about it today, how lucky we are being able to ski whenever we want. And not just any skiing: here as soon as you step out your door it pure wilderness. I have homework, I go to lectures, in fact I'm at university most of the time - but that's only half the fun (and studying at UNIS is an experience in itself). As someone said today "I feel like I'm on a big holiday".

Later on in the evening, the northern lights came back out :)

Walking up Longyearbreen

Twilight :)

Does this photo ring a bell ;) ?

Night falling fast

Watching the Northern Lights outside my barrack

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 22:55

0 comments:

Search