Thursday 7 May 2009

field work part 2 - Billefjorden

Last Monday I went to Billefjorden, my last fieldwork trip of the season. We went out to conduct the same experiment as at Templefjorden i.e. finding out what phyto and zooplankton are living below the ice, and how the ice and sunlight affect their "bloom".

The weather was set to be a bit rubbish, and as some of the sea ice had already disappeared, we took the long way round to Billefjorden. At first I wasn't really looking forward to such a long trip, especially since we had been warned it might take forever and that previous groups got back at 1AM and 5AM (a few weeks before).

However, in the end, it actually went really well. The scooter trip itself didn't last half as long as I expected, and it was quite enjoyable. The scenery (even with the clouds) was amazing but we didn't really get the chance to stop (mainly because we were in a hurry to get things down before the weather deteriorated).

On our way to Billefjorden



When we finally got there, I couldn't believe how much sea ice there was left ... over 1 metre (that's good compared to other places where it's already breaking up). I was responsible for drilling holes in the ice, and then collecting ice core samples (45 of them!). All I can say is that it left me with a very sore back for a few days. Hmmff.

What was silly is that we were right next to Pyramiden, an abandoned Russian settlement. I have yet to visit it, but we didn't have time to scooter across :( ... shame, but I guess I'll see it one day ;) .

Pyramid shaped mountain - giving the name to : ...



On the way back we saw loads of seals, and then later drove through a whiteout. Last time (at Templefjorden) I was falling asleep at the back of the scooter, so this time I ensured to have some headphones in my ears and drink a coffee before leaving lol :)

I was so exhausted that evening, and the following week we had labs ALL day. Very tiring stuff and now I must start working on my report :(

Nordenskioldbreen, Billefjorden, right next to our science base

Cool science

Melt water obstacle to tackle on the way back

What we found in the water

Later on in the lab ... Calanus!
... and Krill! They look evil with those beedy eyes :(

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 12:02

0 comments:

Search