Friday 8 May 2009

visiting BSES

A few days ago I went out by scooter to visit BSES at Tempelfjorden. As you prob know by now, I went to Svalbard with BSES back in 2006. I got an email from them asking if I could pass by with some spare ski bindings, so it was a good excuse to go out before the snow all melted away.

I can remember when I was a YE how some people came to visit us, and gave us some fruit, and how grateful I was. And so this was also the opportunity to keep the tradition, and surprise this year's YE's with a delivery of fresh fruit and chocolate :)

The weather was great, and I was surprised at how much snow there was still left in Sassendalen - nothing like Longyearbyen where everything is melting away like crazy. It was really nice seeing the team again and catching up with them. I think the YEs' were just glad to speak to some new people. Later that evening an Arctic fox came out.

When I was at Tempelfjorden back in 2006, the fjord hadn't even frozen over, and so I was slightly jealous that they had an amazing campsite this year :)

BSES Campsite, looking over to Templet

Mr Fox comes to visit

Looking over the fjord with Wimanfjellet in background

BSES Base Camp 2

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 13:32

0 comments:

Search