Thursday 12 February 2009

bjørndalen

For some reason, as biologists, we had three days off this week. I'm not complaining. And so a few of us decided to hike over/spend the night in the student cabin in Bjørndalen.

I went there in the summer, and it took me less than an hour by bike. This time round it took us 3 hours! I can't say that it was that bad, but we were hiking along a road which was a bit dull at times... and it got dark quite quickly. We took a few pulks (sledges) which made it a lot easier.

The cabin is quite charming, but not very well insulated and I did keep my down jacket on pretty much the whole time. Even though we didn't stay long, the views were spectacular. It's like a whole new Svalbard has been revealed since it has been in darkness for so long, and the snow has finally covered the mountains.

Bjørndalen cabin

Oscar II Land at the horizon

Pulking

View out onto Isfjorden

...

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 14:04

0 comments:

Search