Wednesday 4 February 2009

Villmarkssenter

How cool. I have just come back from this place called "Villmarkssenter". It's basically the only ecotourism company here on Svalbard, and we visited it as part of the Arctic Environmental Management course I am taking.


It's a wooden hut found in the middle of Adventdalen, where tourist are given a taste of true adventure with dog sledge tours and anything that can work in harmony with the environment. The guy there has been on Svalbard for the past 35 years (bearing in mind most residents only spend 4 years here), and so told us about the adventures and challenges his company are facing - most notably trying to expand scooter free zones.

We had diner (free food! - a reindeer stew), coffee and cake around a lovely fire with my entire class. It was so interesting, and I feel quite lucky to have had this unique experience...

Tomorrow will be the UNIS snow scooter course which should also be fun, and next week I'll be visiting SvalSat :)

Eating the reindeer stew

Cool fire

Random photo of what it now looks like at mid day outside my barrack

Random photo of the view outside my window at night

 

posted by Yann Rashid on 23:07

0 comments:

Search